Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Guest Blogger :: The Way I Wanderlust in Corfu, Greece

Today I am excited to bring you a guest post by one of my favorite bloggers...Kayleigh of The Way I Wanderlust.  I have been following her blog for the past year and am constantly inspired by her love of travel, down to earth personality, and self-described "gypsy soul."  She dreamed about living in Australia, so in 2012 she and her husband picked up did just that.  She dreamed about backpacking through Europe solo, so she traveled for a year including spending five months volunteering at a horse ranch in Greece.  A traveler who follows her dreams and has a soft spot for animals?  Clearly a girl after my own heart.

Hi fellow Dreams in HD followers, my name is Kayleigh and I blog over at The Way I Wanderlust. My blog is mostly about fulfilling my wanderlust with endless adventure, my life and the way I like to live. When Molly asked me to take over her lovely blog for the day I was flattered. We seem to have a mutual love of travel, especially the lovely Tuscan region of Italy. I really love all her travel posts and it makes me reminisce about my time travelling through Italy. Today I would love to share with you my fabulous experience living on the island of Corfu, Greece.

I spent five months living on a horse ranch/riding centre. Originally I was only going to stay about one month before continuing on to the other islands but I just fell in love with everything about Corfu and I couldn't bare to leave so soon. I randomly found The Silva Riding Centre online when I was looking for places to volunteer at in exchange for room and board. The centre is located about 10 minutes outside of the town of Corfu sitting right on top of a cliff overlooking the ocean. Not only is the surrounding area picturesque but the actual property is so large that you feel like you are in your own little magical world.
I worked 6 days a week if you could even call it work. Basically I fed, rode and played with horses all day long. I also helped out in the lessons when I was needed, mostly leading around the younger children that were not yet old enough to ride completely by themselves. Apart from being a training centre the Silva Project also rescued unwanted and abused animals, usually horses and dogs. It was heartbreaking to see the condition that most of the animals were brought to us in but helping them recover and watching them transform as the months went on was heartwarming. I wanted to adopt every single one and bring them home with me.
In my free time I would wander around the island taking pictures, walk into town with the other volunteers to enjoy the outdoor markets and coffee shops. We had private beach access on the property so at night if it was warm enough we would head down and sit around a bonfire watching the stars. I loved getting to know all the other volunteers, everyone was there for a reason such as a much needed vacation, a break away from the world or where there to simply get to know themselves better and figure out what they wanted out of life. These fellow volunteers became my family over those months and dinner was always a large, loud event with wine and dancing continuing into the early hours of the morning.
I will forever cherish my time here and would love to go back one day. I honestly could of spent the rest of my life here content to forever be a volunteer but after five months I did start to feel that pull to move on and experience something else. I would recommend Corfu to anyone looking for a peaceful island getaway. The locals are so friendly and welcoming, we were always invited to festivals and special occasions. The few from the beach is worth the trip alone and the food is to die for.

Thanks so much for taking the time to learn a bit about me and my travels. If you would like to learn more or connect with me head on over to my blog. I recently just spent a year in Australia and am now back in Canada trying to adjust back into regular life but also planning my next escape.

{Top image via Wikimedia, all others via The Way I Wanderlust}

24 comments:

  1. What an amazingly brave thing to do! The best life experiences are always borne out of big leaps like this -- living in Corfu with horses. That sort of courage is so inspiring! And rehabilitating needy animals, just incredible. Thank you for sharing Kayleigh's story, Molly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine DinsmoreMarch 4, 2014 at 11:37 AM

    wow, in another life this would be me. i love this sort of adventure, really i can't imagine a better way to live life - at least part of your life. amazing. thanks for sharing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, you have a great eye for taking pictures.

    Have a wonderful day.
    Love,
    Sofia

    stylishlyinlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pictures are so inspiring! I am so happy I found your blog! :)

    Feel free to visit my blog as well! You will find tips on fashion, beauty, personal growth and health between others! <3

    Diana
    www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com
    New Blog Post: [Outfit Idea] A Trendy Day

    ReplyDelete
  5. a gypsy soul prone to wandering the italian countryside and taking photographs? can we be BFF? i spent a year living in rome and took weekend trips to tuscany, but i didn't develop a love for photography until a few years later when i volunteered in mexico for a year :) heading over to your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Kayleigh and Molly. This was a great story. So fantastic that you followed your gypsy spirit. Traveling is such an amazing way to open your mind and heart. And settling down for a while in a different country is courageous. Thanks for sharing your story...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what gorgeous photos! I would love to go to Greece someday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this girl is INCREDIBLE!! Seriously. Great find Molly... what a gem with, I'm sure, amazing story after amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH my!! what a wonderful life....how amazing to be able to take-off like that and such a sweet soul she is too...saving animals and everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jennifer, thanks for you sweet words. of course we can be BFF's. I would love to hear more about your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much Laura, travel is addicting for sure. I think I will always be moving and exploring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. thats so sweet Julie. I just follow where my heart takes me. I tend to always put travel first in my life. Everyone has to choose something.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I grew up with a love of animals, we owned and trained horses and I competed in cross country jumping as well. I love being around them. nothing better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. i could't agree with you more erin.
    glad i could connect you to kayleigh, she is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  15. i know, they are such amazing creatures. and did you see how cute those ponies she was with were?! i can imagine it would be quite hard to leave such a magical place :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i know, she is such an amazing person! my absolute favorite thing about blogging is being able to connect with such kind, unique, inspirational people like kayleigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. i know, i couldn't agree with you more! the history, the colors, the architecture...it looks truly magical :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. i couldn't agree with you more mom! reminds me a lot of when you spent 9 months traveling the world :) i knew you would love reading about kayleigh, she is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh wow jennifer i didn't know you spent so much time living abroad! definitely going to dig into your blog for old posts now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. i know, i love the idea of wandering the world...so inspiring that kayleigh actually made her dreams to do it a reality :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks sofia, kayleigh's photos are really lovely...especially the harbor at sunrise :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. totally agree with you! so many people dream of doing what she did, but she made it a reality. so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great read and wanderlust pictures! xx

    ReplyDelete